You’re not sleeping enough
New role at the office, exam time, a fulltime gamer etc. can be a reason not to sleep enough as there is something to achieve something in life. But going all the way can hurt us very badly in terms of health.
- Metabolism slows down, as the digestion is at its peak when we sleep and when we don’t it ads to body fat.
- Sleeping less means more time in your senses and hence more eating.
- You are already tiered and hence you will not be able to work out well thus you lose on losing out body fat.
- It increases your cortisol level. “Cortisol is made by the adrenal glands. Cortisol levels go up when the pituitary gland releases another hormone called adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH). Cortisol has many functions. It helps the body use sugar (glucose) and fat for energy (metabolism), and it helps the body manage stress.”
- Going to bed past midnight makes you gain more fat because it’s not the natural body cycle.
- You will want to eat something early in the morning.
Hence let’s make a habit of increasing our sleeping hours to a minimum of 6-8 depending on your day. Go to sleep as soon as you feel sleepy. If you feel upbeat by the end of your day, try to include some physical exercises.
You overeat at dinner and sleep right after the meal
Fight with someone you love, stress at work, party etc. a lot of things can make you eat a lot of un-necessary things at dinner. Now, this is bad as you are going to sleep after that without much of physical activity.
- The digestion of heavy food at night happens slowly as it takes more time to break down the complex things that just went down your throat.
- Watching your favorite soap diverts your mind and makes you eat more so just one thing at a time.
- Just sleeping after meals will get more fat accumulated and you can have digestive problems
Hence, having a light dinner high in proteins and fibers in a small plate talking to family and friends. Then take a walk or set the home right so that you have at least 1.5-hour gap before sleeping.
Having an oil filled, spicy and fried dinner
Cannot resist those French fries, burgers, etc. at a party. Just remember that you don’t have time to burn them off.
- Too many calories mean more fat accumulated as you will mostly hit bed after that
- Spicy food leads to poor digestion and increases in heart rates which are not good for one’s health.
- Uneasiness and not a great sleep are some of the consequences to face.
Spicy food is good for speeding up your metabolism. Eat it, if you like it — maybe just not at night. For dinner, you can have smoothies or fresh fruit, all kinds of salads or high-protein foods. But in small portions, of course!
You have a sweet tooth, do a lot of snacking at dinner time, alcohol and love eating it before going to bed
Chocolates, Shakes, Sweets can be a breaking point for many. Many of us broke our resolution because of this.
- White sugar and flour transform into fat cells if not burned and hence creates that belly that you have, yes right there!!
- Snacking leads to over eating and you consume empty calories
- You then become hyperactive and will not be able to sleep as the body now has more energy.
For dessert, have some fruit. It’s like healthy candy that won’t hurt your waist. This solves your sweet and snacking problem
Eating less dinner is great and helps loose
Oh!! Yes, today I skipped dinner, I have to burn less and will lose weight is the concept many people have in mind.
- It doesn’t help you lose much weight because skipping meals slows your metabolism and hence helps in accumulation of fat.
- It aids more hunger to the next meal that you will have and you, in turn, end up eating more. It can cause anxiety and you will have the problem in concentrating.
- You lose muscle tissue, and your skin gets loose which then becomes impossible to lose.
Even if you don’t have time for a decent lunch or dinner, at least try to eat a piece of fruit which helps you to get rid of all the things said above.
Can’t live without checking my phone
She/ He messaged me and I must reply otherwise it will become a big fight and we stay glued to the screens.
- Blue light, emitted by those gadgets, affects health and sleep., Radio frequency waves also cause sleep deprivation and thus creates a lot of problems
Turn devices off at least one hour before bed. Read a book or listen to relaxing music instead.